Saturday, September 13, 2008

We Finished Day One!




We woke up at 5 a.m. this morning and met the rest of our team in the lobby at 5:40 a.m.. Then we went to the opening ceremonies of the 3 day walk. We got lots of inspiration there. They were playing loud, positive, motivational music for us.

We finally headed out for our walk around 7:45 a.m.. I didn't realize that we were going to walk on sidewalks through Seattle. There was a total of 3,299 walkers along these sidewalks.

Some of the most inspirational things along the way were people that dressed up their dogs in pink and would stand out by the road and cheer us on. People set up tents with baked goods along the side of the road, there was a constant stream of honking horns all day, parents dressed up their small children and stood at the end of their driveway and waved at us.
I could go on and on with stories of people coming out to cheer us on. It was amazing.

There were 5 pit stops along the way where you could get a drink, food and use the restroom. Each pit stop was themed. Of course the beach themed pit stop was my favorite.

Around the 17th mile mark we were feeling very grumpy and just wanted to get to the end. Neither one of us ended up with any blisters but I have 3 places that will be blisters on my feet within the first couple of miles in the morning.

We took over 52,000 steps today over ten hours. I normally do that in half of a month.

We were very thankful that we are not sleeping in tents with the hundreds or thousands of other walkers. I can't imagine walking all day and sleeping on the ground in a tent at night.
Thanks MarketLeverage for putting us up in a hotel!

I think our team did great today and I am looking forward to finishing the walk with all of them on Sunday.

No comments: